Don’t shop for this cooking workshop!
This past weekend, I led a cooking workshop on Zoom, hosted by the City of Dublin. Thank you to the city and to everyone who attended. The audience cooked along with me as we made soup out of whatever we had on hand. No two pots were alike! It was so fun, I’ve decided to teach it again as a fundraiser.
Kitchen sink soup, rescue soup, use-it-up soup—it reduces food waste, saves money and conserves resources: the food itself plus all the water, energy, land, inputs and labor that went into producing the food. During Covid, finding ways to use all of the food you have on hand means you can shop less frequently and stay home longer, helping reduce the spread.
Join me and other cooks via Zoom on Friday, October 9th from 10am to 11am PT. Pay what you like. A mere dollar will secure you a spot. All proceeds will go to the League of Women Voters, an organization which “encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.” The League’s mission is “Empowering voters. Defending democracy.”REGISTER
On the day of the class, please bring the following:
- Large stock pot and lid
- Large cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Vegetable peeler or paring knife
- Large measuring cup
- Set of measuring spoons
- Olive oil, butter or other fat
- Random vegetables on hand, such as: carrots, celery, onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, eggplant, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, green beans, zucchini, winter squash
- Fresh or dried herbs of your choice (rosemary, thyme, marjoram or oregano for example)
- Salt and pepper
- Acid, such as red wine, sherry or cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Cooked beans or dry beans that have soaked overnight or for at least six hours
- Cooked or dry lentils
- Leftover cooked protein
- Cheese rinds
- Cooked or dry grains such as pasta, rice, farro, millet and so on
- Stale bread
Clear out the refrigerator, make a vat of soup to enjoy over the weekend, hang out with other citizen cooks and raise money for a good cause.REGISTER